Sunday, March 28, 2010

Charles and Emma

I am catching up on the Battle of the Kids' Books and finished Deborah Heiligman's Charles and Emma : the Darwins' leap of faith, last night.  What an absolutely riveting story!  What likeable, devoted people!  The description of the way they managed to reconcile their differences of belief was hopeful and edifying.  I kept thinking, "This would make a great movie!"  A movie was made last year, Creation, that covered the same ground.  However, it's doubtful that that movie had Heiligman's sensitive touch and attention to research.

I have only two more books to read of the original 16 but I have chosen my final bracket.  I expect that Tales from Outer Suburbia will go head to head with Charles and Emma.  I will be happy if this is the case and I don't care which one wins.

Thanks go to the people at SLJ for coming up with this competition.   The past two weeks have led me into books I might have passed over.  It has been exciting and fun and although I know which books I want to go to the end of the line, I will be watching closely to see how the judges make the rest of their picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment