Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Finally FAVORITES

My absolute favorite book for 2010 was Neil Gaiman's Instructions.  This beautiful picture book visits archetypal fairy tale instructions and takes the reader on a journey far away and back again.  I want to give it to everyone who is embarking on a new phase of life - births, graduations, weddings, new jobs.  The book gives everyday choices a magical quality.

To download a pdf. of my list of Favorite Picture Books, Juvenile Fiction and Juvenile Non-Fiction of 2010, click here.   I formatted it as a booklet.  So print it out and carry it with you.  A list of YA favorites is on the way.  I will not venture to mention a date for that since I have not kept to my predictions very well in the past.

Here are highlights of the Favorite Picture books, besides Instructions, of course.

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein features a young chick who simply can NOT let her father finish any bedtime story.  This book is laugh out loud funny.

The Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood.  You will be surprised at how many different kinds of quiet there are!


Jerry Pinkney has updated a Nursery Rhyme classic with his stunning rendition of Three Little Kittens.

This next one is for Cooking Channel and Food Network fans.  Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly by Carolyn Parkhurst follows poor Henry as he attempts to play "cooking show" with his little sister, Ellie.

If your favorite picture book of the year doesn't appear here, or on my list, please let me know.  I'll share your suggestions with the other readers of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment